Tea and coffee stains
According to the United Kingdom Tea Council Brits drink 165 million cups of tea and 70 million cups of coffee every day. It won’t be surprising then that each of us had to find a way on how to remove coffee or tea stains at least once in our life.
It doesn’t matter whether you are in Surrey or Hampshire having just spilled tea or coffee on your carpet; as with all carpet stains it is best to remove them as soon as possible.
How to remove tea stains from carpet
- Using a paper towel or a clean cloth blot up as much of the tea from the carpet as possible
- When there is no more tea being transferred onto your cloth pour a small amount of water onto the stained area and then blot up again
- Baby wipes are also recommended for removing tea stains from your carpet
- Soda water is another option for sponging off the stain, soak the stained area and then blot dry it with paper towel until the liquid is not being transferred onto your towel
- If everything fails, try using industry standard carpet stain removers and follow the instructions, don’t forget to test on a hidden spot of your carpet first
- If the tea stain still remains don’t despair – dilute white vinegar with water (1:1) and using a clean sponge apply it to the stained area, leave to work for 5-10 minutes and then rinse and blot dry (please test the solution first as the white vinegar might bleach some carpets)
Older stains will need the use of a professional carpet cleaning company. If you are in any doubt and don’t want to clean the carpet yourself there is always Surrey Cleaning Angels to call for help.
How to remove coffee stains from carpet
- With clean white cloth or paper towel blot up all the coffee until no liquid is being transferred from the carpet onto your cloth / towel
- Pour a small amount of cold water onto the stained area and using a new clean cloth / towel blot up all of the liquid
- You can use carpet stain remover following the manufacturer’s instructions
- Alternatively mix 1 teaspoon of clear, mild liquid dish washing detergent with 1 cup of lukewarm water and using a clean sponge apply to the stained area and then blot with a clean cloth / towel and before blotting the area dry wash with clean water
- Another way of removing your coffee stain from a carpet is to mix 1/3 cup of white vinegar with 2/3 cup of lukewarm water, sponge it onto the area, blot with a clean cloth / towel and finally clean the stained area with clean water and blot until dry
Carpet cleaning top tips for any stain
- Treat the stained area as soon as possible
- Always use a clean, white cloth to ensure that dyes from the cloth won’t run into the carpet; or use paper towel
Never rub or scrub carpets otherwise you damage carpet fibres and might spread the stain
- Always start with blotting the stained area, absorbing all the liquid and work from the outside of the stain in avoiding spreading the stain]