Spring is finally here and with the sun shining, you’ll feel much more energized to give your kitchen well deserved spring clean. You don’t have to do everything in one day, with our 5 easy steps you can break spring cleaning up into manageable daily tasks.
Having a spring clean start with checking expiry dates on all your tinned or dried food, sauces and other packaged food you might have. If you have your daily used sauces and seasoning next to the cooker, clean them with warm soapy water to remove oily and sticky residue. Clean all the surfaces of the containers.
Start with checking expiry date on all food in the fridge and freezer and wipe all containers with warm soapy water.
To clean your oven thoroughly, allocate one day just for the oven spring cleaning. If you don’t want to use chemicals you can try the following method:
• Preheat the oven to 65oC.
• Bring a pot of water to boil in an oven safe pot or dish.
• Pour 1 cup of ammonia into another oven safe bowl or baking dish and place it on the top rack of the oven.
• Place the pot of boiling water on the bottom rack.
• Close the oven door and leave overnight.
• The next day, remove both pot of water and set aside the bowl of ammonia for later use.
• Remove the baking racks and leave the oven door open to air out for 15 minutes.
• Add a few drops dish washing liquid to the ammonia and a cup of warm water.
• Wearing gloves, dip a heavy-duty sponge pad to wipe away the grime.
If your microwave is moderately dirty, it will take you only about 3 minutes to clean it. Cut lemon into slices and place these in a cup full of water, cook in the microwave on high for 3 minutes. Then leave the cup in the microwave for 5 minutes to stand. Wipe down the microwave walls using warm soapy water then rinse and dry with a clean cloth.
Keep the germs away by sanitising your kitchen sink by filling it up with very hot water to the brim and adding one cup of regular bleach. Leave for 1 hour and then drain and rinse thoroughly. If there is still any build-up grime, use baking soda to scrub it, then rinse thoroughly. To shine your sink, use glass/window cleaning spray and dry well.